- Challenging service. Youth take on complex projects, learn to safely use power tools, and cultivate teamwork and problem-solving skills.
- Fun! The SSP experience includes a tradition of games, songs, and lasting friendships.
- Safe & Dependable. SSP has 40 years of youth service, leadership, and home repair knowledge, is dedicated to physical and emotional safety, and provides nutritious meals and spiritual support to all volunteers.
- Intercultural engagement. Working with others to strengthen communities different from their own allows youth to experience new cultures in an authentic way.
- Community-based, transformative service learning experience.
During the 2015 summer, SSP hosted 1,757 volunteers. They worked together to complete 94 projects which included replacing 9 failing roofs, constructing 10 brand new wheelchair ramps, and painting 17 homes. SSP worked with 5 United Church of Christ churches who sent 53 volunteers in 2015.
Reverend Daniel Ross-Jones is the Associate Conference Minister for the Northern California Nevada Conference of the United Church of Christ and he has participated in SSP’s summer and year-round programs. Rev. Ross-Jones says that he is, “excited about Sierra Service Project as an avenue to minister to youth in a safe, fun, and affirming environment.” He says that, as hard as it is to get youth to be involved in any church-related activity, his youth “are always excited and ready to serve with Sierra Service Project.” Rev. Ross-Jones has also just joined SSP’s Board of Directors.
Rev. Ross-Jones says that he is, “excited about Sierra Service Project as an avenue to minister to youth in a safe, fun, and affirming environment.”
SSP is committed to providing safe, accessible, and affordable programs for youth to deepen their relationships with God and others through service. SSP trips cover housing, meals, construction training, spiritual development, fellowship and more. We also offer scholarships to groups and individuals who may not otherwise be able to attend.
Registration is now open and groups of all sizes can enroll; no group is too small. Individual high school youth may register where space is available. Call (916) 488-6441 or click today for more information!
Sierra Service Project is an independent, interdenominational Christian 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that provides equal opportunity for everyone to experience God’s grace through service. SSP believes in offering the invitation to service and relationship freely, without expectation. SSP is open and affirming, and welcomes anyone who is interested in participating in its programs.