In the fall of 2020, SSP created a Youth Advisory Council (YAC) to develop leadership skills in teenagers and ensure youth have an active voice in shaping SSP’s programs. Eight YAC members from across the western US participated in the inaugural council – they are excited to welcome the 2nd council!
Details about YAC:
– All high school aged youth are invited to sign-up for the 2022-2023 school year. We are accepting sign-ups on a rolling basis.
– YAC meets monthly for 1 hour via Zoom. Plan for an additional 1-2 hours helping lead and participate in online programs and other initiatives (like ZZP with SSP: for youth, led by youth).
– Once a year, YAC will gather in-person for a retreat. SSP will pay for travel costs, food, and lodging.
Three YAC members will also go on to serve on SSP’s Board of Directors in the subsequent year, acting as a liaison between YAC and the board. These youth have the same voting privileges and responsibilities as adult board members.
Take some time to compose your answers to the essay questions below, limiting your responses to about 200 words. We advise you to draft and save your responses in a separate document to avoid losing your responses. Essay questions:
- Please describe some of the memorable experiences you have had with SSP. How and why has SSP been a formative and important experience for you?
- Why do you want to serve on SSP’s Youth Advisory Council?
- What skills and strengths do you bring to YAC?