Join Us This Summer!
We are excited to announce SSP’s 2024 summer program plans! Youth, young adult, and adult volunteers will work with these partner communities:
We will be hosting volunteer groups for week-long sessions between June 30 and early August 3.
Participants do not need any experience with home repair work or power tools to volunteer – but we are happy to put your skills to good use if you do have knowledge in these areas!
We look forward to serving with and learning alongside you next summer.
Who Can Serve?
Volunteers of many ages can participate – no experience required! Traditionally, our program is youth-centered. In recent years, we have added more intergenerational options for young adult and adult groups who would like their own service-learning experience.
- Middle Schoolers:
- Incoming 6th grade through incoming 9th grade
- Can participate in any middle school, combined, or intergenerational sessions
- High Schoolers:
- Incoming 9th grade through graduating 12th grade
- Can participate in any high school, combined, or intergenerational sessions
- Note: 18-year-olds who will have recently graduated high school are welcome to participate in youth-focused sessions. However, they will be required to complete additional paperwork required for adults volunteering with minors due to California law.
- Young Adults:
- Ages 18-22
- Can participate in any intergenerational sessions
- Are not expected to lead youth on work teams
- Adult Volunteers:
- Age 23 and older
- Adults may either participate as:
- A counselor responsible for leading youth at youth-focused sessions, OR
- Part of an intergenerational group (no direct youth leadership responsibilities)
In the summer of 2024, we will no longer be requiring the COVID-19 vaccine for volunteers. However, we strongly recommend all participants are up to date with all immunizations per CDC guidelines, including new COVID-19 vaccines as they become available.
See SSP’s COVID-19 Safety page for more information and updates.
Summer Registration Timeline
- October 3:
- Info packet available with program and registration details
- October 10-31:
- Priority registration open
- Group sign-up fee & per-person deposits due to register
- The priority registration period determines the length and program type of each session
- Early November:
- Priority placements are made
- If placement does not work for your group, notify the SSP office by November 15th to receive a refund or credit for the group sign-up fee.
- Priority placements are made
- After priority placements:
- First-come, first-served sign-ups open
- Full program schedule published
- Additional dates & information in program packets
All groups registering must submit a flat rate sign-up fee, based on their estimated size:
- 1 – 5 people: $75
- 6 or more people: $200
In addition to the sign-up fee, participant fees range between $595 to $675 total per person. Fees vary by site:
Details on installments, payment timelines, and policies can be found in the information packet.
Additional Program Updates
TBA in the information packet!
Week 1: No volunteers (prep week for staff)
Week 2: starting June 30
Week 3: starting July 7
Week 4: starting July 14
Week 5: starting July 21
Week 6: starting July 28
Note: See details on session length and fee schedules in the information packet.