SSP has always encouraged healthy relationships between people of different ages. We all have a wealth of unique experiences, which benefit the greater community when shared with others. We are thrilled to offer intergenerational sessions, open to volunteers entering 6th grade and older.
At an intergenerational session, work teams are coordinated to accommodate different ages, based on the group’s preference. This is a chance for your group to both grow in teamwork and collaboration, as well as leadership.
Number of Participants
To maintain the sense of community fostered at SSP, the average total size of these sessions is 60 volunteers.
Eligibility: Who Can Participate?
Anyone entering 6th grade and older may attend an intergenerational session. Adult groups, college groups, staff alumni, families, youth groups, and groups with a mix in ages are all welcome to participate. Youth volunteers may sign up as individuals if they wish, as can individual adults. Anyone 18 years or older attending this program must undergo a national criminal background screening before June 1st.
We ask that anyone attending this program keep an open mind – it will not be a traditional SSP week! There will be volunteers of all ages present, as well as a mixed level of SSP experience.
The intergenerational sessions vary in length depending on the week. The daily and weekly schedule of this program will look very similar to the Combined program.
Dates & Locations
- Sunday-Friday sessions:
Please note the program schedule may be subject to change by volunteer interest. You are always welcome to contact our office regarding availability and questions for intergenerational groups.
Summer Registration Timeline
- September 2: Summer interest survey due
- September 13: Summer information packet and program schedule available
- October 1: Priority registration for summer opens
- October 31: Priority registration for summer ends
- November 1:
- January 15: Priority deadline for scholarship applications
- February: Spring preparation timeline and details available for registered groups
To register, you’ll need your group type, total number of youth and adults, session date and location, and a $60 deposit per person.
What is priority registration?
- From October 1-31, volunteer groups can register with their top three to five choices of session for the summer.
- In early November, all priority-registered groups will receive their session placement. Once all priority groups are placed, sign-ups open to be first-come, first-served.
- With the priority registration model, 97% of groups typically recieve either their first or second choice of session. It also means SSP can ensure consistent volunteer numbers across weeks, help staff plan project completion timelines, and improve the volunteer experience on site!
- If you have extenuating scheduling circumstances that truly limit you to only one location and week, you can indicate this when signing up during the priority period.
How to register:
- All sign-ups are completed on MySSP, our online registration and volunteer portal.
- If you represent a new group, complete the New Group Login Request form. If you are a new liaison for a group that already attends SSP, email Veronica Russell to update your account.
- Meet with your volunteers to select a session before registering.
- Determine the total number of spots your group wants to reserve.
- Groups attending Intergenerational sessions should have a minimum of one adult per four youth (1:4) if bringing youth volunteers, but a higher ratio is also welcome.
- Be sure to confirm, using the table above, that there are enough spaces available for your group during your session of choice.
- To register, you’ll need your group type, total number of youth and adults, session date and location, and a $60 deposit per person.
- Your deposit must be received at the time of registration via credit or debit card online for your group’s spots to be reserved.
- We highly suggest collecting deposits from families in advance to encourage financial investment in the trip, and avoid drops later in the year.
Download the 2020 Summer Information Packet.
2020 Summer Downloads
- 2020 Summer Information Packet
- 2020 Group Scholarship Application
- 2020 Summer Preparation Packet (updated February 2020)
Visit our downloads page for more resources.